The Whitney has a great exhibit going on
After closely observing “The Whiteness of the Whale”
- I noticed a protrusion vibrate to the random steps of museum go-ers.
Then, for minutes, I remained transfixed,
- wondering if its movement was truly intended,
- and if so, marveled at how well Stella had imitated
- the uncapturable and chaotic essence of Moby Dick
- by giving us a statue that simply won’t stand still.
And then two passer-bys:
- Boy: “I don’t like any of this.”
- Girl: “Don’t worry, it’s not really art.”
Then I knew:
- Stella may not have deliberated on the wobble,
- but knowing the context, still intended it.